Is there anything as beautiful as the freshly finished façade of new asphalt? The uniform black surface that’s seamless and even, stretching from finished to end without so much as an imperfection—it’s truly a sight to behold! But it doesn’t always last long—before you know it, cracks, divots and undulations appear and over time, that once-seamless surface becomes a minefield. It doesn’t have to be that way, though!
If you’re enjoying freshly-paved asphalt in Santa Rosa, CA, remember that there are things you can do to ensure the longevity of that surface and, in turn, a higher return on your investment. Take a look at five core things that will extend the life of your asphalt, to keep it looking great:
- The first and foremost secret to a sustainable asphalt surface is cleanliness. It might seem impossible to keep your parking lot clear of debris or your driveway free of fluid leaks, but it’s imperative that you try, for the sake of your asphalt. At least make an effort to sweep away debris on a regular basis, before moisture and the elements use it against your asphalt.
- Water is going to be one of the biggest detractors of your asphalt, which makes ensuring proper drainage one of the paramount duties in keeping it looking great. Make sure drains are unblocked and accommodating, while also keeping an eye on the grading of the surface, to calculate drainage paths and keep them free of any obstructions.
- Invest in sealcoating every few years, to protect the integrity of your asphalt in Santa Rosa, CA. Sealcoating will stave off cracks, renew the resilience of the surface and prevent cracks from forming via the UV abuse your asphalt is bound to take. Have an asphalt contractor evaluate your asphalt every few years to recommend the proper sealcoating schedule.
- Patch any cracks that form immediately! Cracking is inevitable when it comes to asphalt—especially in hot, humid California conditions. As soon as you see a crack begin to form, have a professional patch and seal it straightaway, to prevent it from getting bigger or worse, to prevent weed growth from coming up or moisture from going down.
- Control the wear and tear your asphalt is seeing by regulating it as a driving surface. Set lower speed limits if applicable (parking lots and private driveways) or weight limits (trucks vs. heavy machinery vs. oversized loads) to reduce the abuse the surface is likely to see.
With adherence to the tips above and a little luck, you’ll be able to preserve the integrity and allure of your freshly paved asphalt in Santa Rosa, CA for longer than you realize! And, not only will the above tips keep it looking great, they’ll also extend its lifespan and keep its resilience high, which will save you money in repair and maintenance costs in the long run. Give them a try today and give yourself a pat on the back for your diligence!